O ur funeral home was established at Jacobsburg, Ohio by Willis L. “Doc” Toothman in 1909 when after completing his training at the Cincinnati College of Embalming he entered into a partnership with William Taylor. The firm at that time was known as Taylor and Toothman Funeral Home.
In 1917 Doc purchased the interest of Charles McMaster in the firm of McGuire and McMaster and the name was changed to McGuire and Toothman. Upon the death of Rev. Thomas McGuire in 1924 Doc purchased Mr. McGuire’s interest from his widow and the name was changed to Toothman Funeral Home.
Doc was joined in the business by his son William after his graduation from the Cincinnati College of Embalming in 1946. Bill became a full partner in 1952 and purchased his father’s interest when Doc semi-retired in 1955 making Bill the sole owner.
In 1963 Bill purchased an interest in the Johnston Funeral Home in St. Clairsville which was one of the oldest funeral firms in the Ohio Valley having been established by Benjamin R. Johnston in 1869. The name was changed to Toothman Funeral Home in 1969.
Bill’s son, Wilson joined the family business in 1970 after his graduation from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science. Wilson assumed the position of President of the firm in 1980 and continued until 2012. As the business continued to grow Bill’s youngest son, Clark attended the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and joined the firm after graduation in 1984.
Wilson’s youngest son, Jeff followed in the footsteps of his father, grandfather and great grandfather by graduating from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science in 1995 with a BS Degree in Mortuary Science and began working with his father, grandfather and uncle. Jeff took over as President in 2012.
The Toothman family remains very proud of it’s heritage and in the fact that we have remained a family owned and operated business for 103 years spanning four generations.